â–º Listen Live
â–º Listen Live
HomeNewsCNC hosts gathering at PG campus prior to National Day of Truth...

CNC hosts gathering at PG campus prior to National Day of Truth and Reconciliation

The College of New Caledonia’s PG campus held an Honouring Truth event today (Wednesday) ahead of Monday’s National Day for Truth and Reconciliation.

It featured greetings, drumming, story telling by Elders, students and, alumni.

Cultural Advisor, Darlene McIntosh knows first-hand the systemic racism Indigenous People endured during the period of Residential Schools.

“I myself went through that as a little girl. There was so much racism and negativity and the way people thought of First Nations people was horrible. They thought they were stupid savages and drunks on the street.”

- Advertisement -

“I know my brothers especially, who were a darker colour than me the racism that they heard and had to face – then what happens is you start to defend yourself.”

McIntosh added the best way for people to learn more about Indigenous culture in their own backyard is to brush up on the history of the local First Nation.

“That’s a starting point is to find the traditional territories you are on and to encompass it into your daily lives and conversations. I want people to come into awareness and to the knowledge of what has happened in the past and be open to it.”

CNC President, Cindy Heitman wants people to keep an open mind when improving relations with Indigenous people.

“I want people to understand that we all have a responsibility to provide space for healing so that communities can grow, thrive and we can change the trajectory for Indigenous people here in Canada.”

“The history of residential schools has been impactful and continues to have effects on Indigenous people today. As an educational organization, it’s important we take that leadership in telling the truths and the truths of the true history of Canada.”

The college also recognized longtime Prince George-Valemount MLA Shirley Bond who is retiring from provincial politics after withdrawing her candidacy last month.

Something going on in the Prince George area you think people should know about?
Send us a news tip by emailing [email protected].

- Advertisment -
- Advertisment -
- Advertisement -

Continue Reading